Zaram's Growth Docket

Goals

• To gain foundational and in-depth knowledge of community management

To-Dos

• Go through each of the topics created on the site
1 Like

Awesome! Combined together, these are really hefty goals, but they complement each other so they are achievable. To start off we will go small. We will work with a community you own and help you build and rebuild it. You will learn as we do this building.

To go on with the learning, answer me this:

:question: What kind of community would you like to start or grow :question:

If you already have a community in mind, please share it here giving as much detail as you can.

If you do not, that is also fine. Just share what kind of community you will like to create. If the answer to this isn’t clear, think about your hobbies or interests and share the one you currently enjoy engaging in or talking about.

I think I would love to create a community that helps each other with career opportunities and professional development. I am in a few and would like mine to be a bit more impactful. I have not yet thought out how to create a niche around this thought.

1 Like

Nice! I like that you want yours to be more impactful. Awesome sauce.

For the next step, you’ll be defining the WHY or the VALUE of your community. Basically, you’ll be answering this question:

:question: Why should I join your community :question:

This can be rephrased to read as “What is in your community for me?” or “What is the JOB people come to my community to get done?” or just simply*“WHY your community?”* why not any other career or professional development community? The why or the value of your community is the main reason people rush or join your community. It has to be compelling enough to PULL them in to your community.

To help you answer this, I will share a couple of resources. Go through them one at a time and reply here with what you learnt from them. Then ONLY after going through the resources and sharing your insights should you answer the question above. The resources are:

1. The Jobs To Be Done Framework:
  1. Start With Why:

Your tasks should you choose to accept them will be:

Go through the Jobs To Be Done Framework video and share your insights as a reply here

Go through the Start With Why Framework video and share your insights as a reply here

Define and share the Value (the Why or the Job to be done) of your chosen community

My insights from the video “Jobs to be done” is that I need to find out what the prospective community members consider as competition to the community I would create. This would help me better craft my community to create more value/impact.

From the second video, my take home is to be able to streamline my “why” and sell same to prospective community members as people are moved by the “why”.

I will come back with my responses on the why and the job to be done for my chosen community.

1 Like

Love this! I like your insights, beautiful stuffs!

Perfect! Really looking forward to what you share :slight_smile:

Young adults (but undergrads and graduates) are looking to position themselves strategically in the society, in a way that gives them an edge professionally. They would enjoy more from a community where they pay little or nothing to access information that aids professional development, where they can meet other professionals thereby expanding their professional network.

This is why I am looking to grow a community that focuses on professional impact.

1 Like

Awesome one! I like this. I particularly like how you’ve more or less defined your community persona too with this statement:

It is similar to my persona and goals for Community Staples :wink:

The next step here is finding your Founding Members. People who have similar interests or goals with that of the community. Create a list of them and connect with them. We can do this together :slight_smile:

Hi @Zaram how’s it going with you? :slight_smile:

Hello Osioke, thanks for the check in. So sorry, I have not been on this platform for a while.

Just resumed grad school and settling in has been a bit tough. I have however bookmarked my learning process. To resume this week.

1 Like

Will reply with the list by end of day.

1 Like

Awesome! And congrats on getting into grad school :slightly_smiling_face:

:partying_face::tada::muscle:t5:

Looking forward to what you share.

Another thing on my mind is this platform, I feel I may be making it harder for you to respond and share and was wondering if adding a WhatsApp group for this would make this easier for you. What do you think?

Yes yes! Whatsapp would be so much better. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Hi Osioke,

Please see breakdown of Founding members of the proposed community.

• My closest friends who are professionally minded and development focused
  • My current mentees
  • Willing participant from my whatsapp status

I understand that while there would be a general start with a couple of people, some will drop out along the way. I will share a whatsapp BC to get founding members into the group.

I hope to be able to share some progress with you by tomorrow.

1 Like

Hold on. While inviting your founding members is the next step, two things really matters.

1. Which one of them you invite
  2. How you invite them

For your founding members you don’t want to just invite anyone or push out an open invitation, no. That will not work. You want to make sure they fit the ideal community member you’d like for your community, and they can do the things you’d want to be happening in your community.

Once you’ve filtered your initial founding members list to those who fit your ideal community member persona or profile, you’d want to invite them 1-on-1 or personally. This increases their bond/connection with you and the community and makes them feel special.

So I’ll say your next task is two-fold:

1. Define and write out your ideal community member’s profile or persona
  2. Filter out your founding member listto match the persona

After this we’d move on to selecting and inviting.

Okay, let me hear what others think.

Note that even if we create a WhatsApp group, you’d still post your tasks here and do the learning here on this platform, the WhatsApp group will only be for quick follow-ups, reminders and catch-ups.

I have created the WhatsApp group! Join me there :blush:

Community Staples WhatsApp Group Invite