Somi's Learning Log

First step done. Now what’s next please :pray:

1 Like

Awesome! Your learning journey begins.

I’ll start with an overview of how your learning will happen here.

The learning happens as we converse here. We’d use this topic to go through your goals and I’ll share the materials and your tasks/assignments personalised to you and your learning goals.

This learning process is completely different from other methods of learning you may have experienced, so I’ll say keep an open mind and come hungry to learn.

If you want to see this in action, click this Learning to see the learning topics of others here.

To proceed with your learning, answer me this

:question: What are your learning goals for this program :question:

Basically, what do you hope to be able to do or get by joining this program?

Hello Osioke,

I trust your day is going well so far.

My apologies for the delay in replying, I had to tidy up a couple of somethings.

My Learning Goals are:

1. To understand the nitty gritty of community management, from starting a community to growing or developing an existing community to it’s full capacity.

2. To gain practical skills and experience in community management.

3. To be able to land a job with the learning experience after the training. Or found my own community.

Thanks again for this amazing opportunity to learn from you.

Best regards.
Somi

1 Like

Beautiful, beautiful! Combined together, these are really hefty goals, but they complement each other so they are achievable. To start off we will go small. We will work with a community you own and help you build and rebuild it. You will learn as we do this building.

To go on with the learning, answer me this:

:question: What kind of community would you like to start or grow :question:

If you already have a community in mind, please share it here giving as much detail as you can.

If you do not, that is also fine. Just share what kind of community you will like to create. If the answer to this isn’t clear, think about your hobbies or interests and share the one you currently enjoy engaging in or talking about.

Following our phone conversation, these are the highlights below and action plan.

First of all, thank you so much for the call and your guidance, it was quite helpful.
I was able to identify what I’m most passionate about and how I can build a community around it.
Which is, helping fresh graduates find their path and prepare them for opportunities in that field.

Assignment:

Research on atleast 5 communities with similar purpose and note the following:

1. Name
  2. Share their Link
  3. A brief description of what their about
  4. What I like about them
  5. What I think they’re not doing right.
1 Like

Awesome! Thank you for the kind words. :slight_smile:

A little more context to the assignment.

THis should be a link to their community or somewhere that anyone can see what their community is like.

This shouldn’t be brief, it can be as long as you like and it should be from your own perspective, not what they write in their about section.

and what you found nice, or interesting in a good way.

or what is missing. What did you not see that you wish they had or solved or did, especially as it relates to how you initially felt lost when you first left school.

Looking forward to what you share!

1 Like

Alright, well noted.

1 Like

I have been assigned a community to manage :blush: and I’m pretty excited about this.

My community of focus is the Community Staples. My role is to support members and help them achieve their goals. While I work on mine too.

Assignment for the month

List 3 communities and research them.

I’ll be understudying CMX community and YorochiTv Facebook community. The this 2 for now. And I’m already a member.

We are looking out for their problem points, and what resources they need. Share your research notes in your topic.

What is the why of your community, what is the value of the community to the members, and identify and find your first community members.

The why of the community is to build a digital nation one community at a time. To achieve this, we help members learn community management while building their own communities.

Study the resource materials for this topic and use the knowledge to identify yours. Then share a link to your community.

I have started studying the materials.

1 Like

Noice! Share links to these communities please.

CMX may not be a good community to use here because we want communities we know are not at their best, and we want communities focused on our local market or people (Nigerians or Africans). we

Yes true, I’ll search for 2 more communities then.

Here’s a link to YorochiTv Community
:point_down::point_down::point_down:

1 Like

Nice, also look for whether the community is one you can make an impact in or connect with the main founders. Large communities like this usually no longer participate in the day to day events and the founders are disconnected.

Sorry for all these late comments, I am learning too as you share and seeing what communities will be better :pray:t5:

Hi,

As advised, i did find some growing communities that i believe we can make an impact.

1. Tech Girl Magic: It’s a community for women in tech or transitioning into tech. They have about 187 women

https://join.slack.com/t/techgirlmagic22/shared_invite/zt-1of1mf2f6-Xhi7TxJllvpAf6nqJi4AUw

My observation: There seem to be little or no engagement. Since I joined no one has said a word.
I initially joined the telegram group, I noticed the same, so I assumed they have a more active platform, I requested for a link and that’s how I joined the slack community. It’s all quiet in there as well.

2. Tech Jewels Africa: Also for ladies in tech. Community is on Telegram. They have about 201 members.

My observations: It’s also quiet in there. Last time there was any communication was Jan 5th.

3. Web3 Ladies: It’s a discord community for blockchain ladies. With about 4,000 members.
I’m yet to be granted access into the various channels, I actually just joined.

My Suggested Topics for Webinar

I. Building a Sustainable Community
II. How to Make Your Community Give Back
III. Increase Your Community Engagement.

Question:
Does daily communication or activities mean or make a community successful?

1 Like

Nice one with the communities! So what do you think we could do to help them? What topic or program could we write on or do to help these communities?

Why these topics? Are they tied to what you perceived as the problems?

Yes, I suggested these topics based on what I peceived as a need in the communities.

When I joined, I quickly scanned through the conversations. I was surprised to see that I could scrolled throught the entire chat history in a split sec. I think that’s poor for a group that has existed for about a year with about 200 members.

I also noticed that the admins did most of the communications, which were majorly announcements of new events or reminders . There were barely any form of interactions in the group.

I believe if they know how to build a sustainable community or how to increase engagement in a community, the community will grow to a point were it can sustain itself.
That is, the members just naturally interact with each other, ask questions and another community member answers. The community manager would nolonger have to stir up conversations every day or week, whatever used to be the case. At this point, the CM only comes out to moderate or give announcements, etc.

1 Like

Oh, okay. Reading this now makes it clearer. The how to increase engagement article makes sense, let’s do a series on it. I’ll share some articles on this.

Beautiful! So how do I share this articles with the community leaders?

Do I post the link in the group for all to see? Or do I private chat the leaders and share my observations and the resource materials? Bearing in mind that you earlier advised against direct marketing, when we talked about getting clout.